Phenergan Oral Solution is used to treat allergic conditions such as hay fever or rashes like nettle rash or hives. And to prevent nausea or vomiting (e.g. travel sickness). Phenergan Oral Solution contains a medicine called promethazine hydrochloride. This belongs to a group of medicines called phenothiazines. It works by blocking a natural substance (histamine) that your body makes during an allergic reaction.
DIRECTIONS: Take this medicine by mouth .Do not take for longer than 7 days. When two doses are required in 24 hours, the lower dose should be used.
For allergies (such as hay fever, rashes and hives):
- Children 2-5 years: A single dose of one to three 5ml spoonfuls taken at bedtime OR one 5ml spoonful taken twice a day Maximum daily dose is 3 x 5ml spoonfuls (15mg)
- Children 5-10 years: A single dose of two to five 5ml spoonfuls taken at bedtime OR one or two 5ml spoonfuls twice a day Maximum daily dose is 5 x 5ml spoonfuls (25mg)
- Adults including elderly: Five 5ml spoonfuls once a day. This may be increased to a maximum of five 5ml spoonfuls taken three times a day. Maximum daily dose is 15 x 5ml spoonfuls (75mg)
For treatment and prevention of feeling sick or being sick (such as travel sickness)
- Children 2-5 years: One 5ml spoonful taken the night before the journey. Repeat after 6-8 hours as required.
- Children 5-10 years: Two 5ml spoonfuls taken the night before the journey. Repeat after 6-8 hours as required.
- Adults including elderly: Five 5ml spoonfuls taken the night before the journey. Repeat after 6-8 hours as required.
DO NOT USE:
- If you have an allergy to promethazine hydrochloride or any of the ingredients.
- Not for use in children under the age of 2.
- If you are taking a medicine for depression called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). Or if you have stopped taking one of these MAOI medicines within the last 14 days
- If you have diabetes. This medicine contains hydrogenated glucose syrup which is not suitable for diabetics
This product should only be used when clearly necessary.
IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ADVICE SHOULD BE SOUGHT IN THE EVENT OF OVERDOSAGE EVEN IF YOU FEEL WELL. PLEASE READ THE ENCLOSED LEAFLET CAREFULLY.
CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR:
If symptoms persist. Prolonged use without medical supervision may be harmful.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PHENERGAN ORAL SOLUTION
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Phenergan Oral Solution. This is because it can affect the way the medicine works.
- Phenergan Oral Solution should not be taken during pregnancy or when breast feeding unless your doctor
considers it essential. Please consult your doctor or pharmacist before use if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, taking any other prescription medications, regular medicines or receiving regular treatment.
- Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines particularly Anticholinergic medicines - includes some medicines used for irritable bowel syndrome, asthma or weak
bladder. These can increase the risk of dizziness, dry mouth and blurred eyesight, medicines for depression (such as amitriptyline), medicines to help you to sleep or feel more relaxed (such as diazepam or zolpidem) or medicines such as aspirin (for arthritis and pain in your joints). Phenergan Oral Solution may hide the side effects of these medicines.
- Do not take for longer than 7 days. If your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 7 days talk to your doctor or pharmacist
- Like all medicines, Phenergan can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. If you think you have any side effects or symptoms, stop using this medicine immediately and see a doctor as soon as possible.
- You may feel drowsy or sleepy while taking this medicine or in the morning after taking this medicine. If this happens, do not drive or use any tools or machines.
- Promethazine hydrochloride, each 5ml of solution contains 5mg of the active substance.
- Maltitol liquid (Hydrogenated glucose syrup). This is a type of sugar. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars talk to your doctor before taking this medicine. Maltitol may have a mild laxative effect.
- Sodium sulphite and sodium metabisulphite. These may rarely cause severe allergic (hypersensitivity) reactions and difficulty breathing, wheezing and tightness in the chest (bronchospasm) and it contains 37mg sodium per dose (5ml). Take this into account if you are on a controlled sodium diet.
- ALWAYS keep out of reach and sight of children.
Patient Information leaflet: https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/phenergan-5mg-5ml-oral-solution-33352/patient-info