Growing up with eczema in the 1980’s was tricky. I remember my mother describing the way my skin would flake all around me when she lifted off my vest at night. I remember the feeling of material irritating my sensitive skin at night and trying all sorts of wardrobe varieties to prevent that scratchy night time cycle I seemed adamant to explore! The damage I could do to my skin in a few restless hours was awful! My dad, like me, was a Pharmacist so it’s not like I didn’t have access to and try every cream, ointment and lotion that was on the market at the time! I must have been slobbered in tonnes of the stuff over the years in an effort to keep my dry and irritated skin at bay 🙂 Thank you Mum!
So with that in mind, in addition to the fact that I have three eczema prone WonderBabas of my own now, it is of no surprise that I was extremely excited to see this product enter the market!! This product however is only suitable for children up to two years of age and as my own are older than that now I looked to my followers for product testers as I will never recommend or endorse a product which I would not try on my own children – so I obviously needed a little help with this bit! Going off a brands recommendation alone or even off the research behind it is not enough for WonderBaba so I’d like to say a huge thank you to WonderBaba followers Dawn, Siobhan, Joanne and Sheena (a different Sheena – not me – great name tho ;). These Mums tried and tested the product over four weeks on their beautiful WonderBabas who unfortunately all suffer, as I did as a child, with eczema or dermatitis. So, down to business, let me tell you how it went!
The feedback from our WonderMamas was as follows:
- The material was breathable, soft and comfy. This made it gentle against irritated skin.
- The design of the product is different to regular sleepsuits in that the opening is just at the bum. Most mums found this a positive, with one saying she would choose this over a regular sleepsuit all of the time now. One mum found it difficult to change the nappy at night with this design and from assessing the ages and sizes of the babies and products tested it would seem to me that if you have a baby who is in the higher end of percentile charts for length then the sleepsuit may be a tighter fit on the torso. This doesn’t leave adequate room for the fabric to move to allow an easy nappy change. This should be kept in mind when selecting size or if you have a child who is slightly longer or larger and close to two years of age this product may not be for you.
- The pyjamas are footless – this made them more breathable and allowed for some good toe wriggling 🙂
- The pyjamas are hypoallergenic and so did not irritate sensitive skin. One mum reported flare ups which were normal for their teething baby and whilst the pyjamas did not help this baby prevent them they did not worsen them. The other mums reported soothing effects on their babies skin. Two mums reported a significant improvement in their children’s skin condition.
- The pjyamas are made with light material and one mum needed to add additional layers as found her baby was cool and not settling. She added pyjama bottoms on top which helped. This obviously depends on the temperature of your house and what your baby is used to sleeping in – also we noted that in the summer these would be fabulous as they are light which will mean your baby’s skin can remain cool yet still covered which is extremely useful for eczema. Basically they are light which I greatly deem a positive for eczema control, but if its a little chilly you can pop normal pj’s on over it!
- One mum mentioned it is a little confusing that the seems are on the outside as well as the tag as obviously this is the opposite to normal! This is a product feature though to reduce the normal irritation by the seems on the skin. See the photo here as I can see what she means – I myself like the fact that the seems are on the outside of anti-irritation reasons but obviously it’s important to mention this to anyone putting them into the sleep suit so that they don’t put it on inside out!
- For the mums who didn’t have size issues with the product they got on well with one mum remarking that her son is a ‘changed boy’. A reduction in steroid cream needed was reported back with fantastic effects on his skin. He is sleeping better with less fidgeting and scratching – actually – he is now sleeping through the night!!! #ultimatewin
So overall the feedback from the mums is that if you get the right fit (these seem to be small fitting!) these pyjamas are indeed excellent material to reduce itch and irritation and can indeed improve sleep! They did not aggravate any baby’s skin, the negatives that people found seem to be in relation to size alone. If they are too small on your baby it is difficult to change nappies etc.
Now from my perspective on the theory rather than the practical I have to say I wish I had had these as a child or for my own WonderBabas! The material is so soft and lovely to touch and I agree with the mums that in warm weather these would be an absolute god send to a baby with irritated skin! The breathable fabric means that they can still wear pyjamas but their skin remains covered and so they are less likely to scratch and irritate it. The footless feature is good for increased breathability and also for sizing as often feet are the size limiting feature of sleepsuits! But I do note that a couple of the mums who perhaps had babies with longer torsos did find that the fit was tight and that made the bum opening panel tricky to manoeuvre during nappy changes so definitely be aware of that!
These pyjamas have been specifically designed for atopic-prone skin. They are softer and more comfortable than standard pyjamas due to the 100% cotton fibres, the clever outer seems, and the encapsulation of natural active soothing ingredients on the cotton fibres. Ingredients included are vitamin E, squalene, ceramides, avocado oil and sunflower oil distillate which are all gradually and progressively released to sooth your baby’s skin.
Overall I’d say well done Mustela! Finally a solution to comfy pyjamas for WonderBabas with dry or irritated skin needing soothing and not irritation! Pyjamas which reduce the risk of allergic reaction and allow for breathability which keeps the skin cool and less likely to become inflamed!
So Mustela – myself and the girls in Milltown totalhealth Pharmacy are wondering – when can we get our onesies?!
I hope you have found this article helpful and if you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to contact me by sending a private message to the WonderBaba facebook page or my website contact page or by calling me (Sheena) at Milltown totalhealth Pharmacy in Dublin 6 on 012600262.