Losec mups are a prescription only medicine that are used to treat reflux in children. They work by reducing acid secretion in the stomach. This medication is not the only treatment for reflux in babies and all symptoms and options should be discussed with your GP and prescribed before treatment
Losec mups are gastro-resistant tablets which contain specially coated pellets containing the active ingredient. Obviously it is unsuitable for children to swallow tablets so these can be prepared in the following way which allows you to give the medicine to your child. Losec is recommended to be given in the morning.
- Break the tablet (using 10mg tablets as an example)
- Measure out 10mls of water (non-carbonated)
- Place the tablet in the water and it will disperse. Sometimes I find it needs to be left for a few minutes and then swirled to help it disperse.
- Don’t be tempted to crush the tablets as the little pellets need to stay in tact if possible (these are so small you won’t really see them – the solution will just appear grainy)
- Give the medication to your child at the dose prescribed within thirty minutes of adding the tablet to the water. Stir the liquid just before giving it!
- If you have disolved a 10mg tablet it in 10mls of water it is easy to work out the dose as is it 1mg per 1ml – so if your doctor has prescribed 3mg daily you give 3mls of the prepared solution etc. Unfortunately you cannot keep the remaining solution to use at another time as the tablet can only be used within thirty minutes of adding it to water. Please don’t hesitate to ask me or your dispensing pharmacist about the dose your doctor has prescribed.
- I find the wider oral syringes such as those that come with Calpol or Nurofen quite useful as the grainy mixture passes through them with more ease than some syringes.
- Don’t mix Losec in fizzy (carbonated) water or milk.
- If your child will not take the solution with just water you can mix it with some fruit juice or apple sauce.
I hope you have found this article helpful and if you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to contact me by sending a private message to the WonderBaba facebook page (www.facebook.com/wonderbabacare) or by calling me (Sheena) at Milltown totalhealth Pharmacy in Dublin 6 on 012600262. I’m always happy to help!
My pharmacy have lots of useful products for babies health available in our online shop including products for wind and colic – check it out by clicking here!
The information in the blog relates solely to Losec Mups which are a licensed product of Astra Zeneca Ireland. This medication should only be used if prescribed by your GP. This blog was written and is accurate for 25/3/16 – for updated information please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me or your local pharmacist.
REF – http://www.medicines.ie/medicine/15268/SPC