I’ve been on the lookout for a new humidifier for months now! We have had difficulties finding one that that was readily available from our suppliers and which fit my strict criteria! Finally I have one that I have tried, and tested, and am confident and happy to say is effective and robust enough for family life! This type of product needs to be able to be thrown in the back of a press when not in use and easily prepared once needed! Staying true to my brand I will only recommend products that I can, and have, tried and tested on my own children. I combine my experience with my knowledge as a Pharmacist and here is what we end up with – A WonderBaba Review!
So let’s begin, the humidifer in question is the Medisana AH662. Before I go into the detail of the device itself, I’d just like explain first of all why a humidifer is such a great product to have to hand with kids around!
The Medisana humidifier maintains a constant flow of vapourised water over a 15 hour period. This helps to prevent your body loosing essential moisture. Colds, flus and a dry climate can cause dehydration. You may think in Ireland we don’t have a dry climate all year around – but when the winter comes and all of the radiators are on full blast that’s exactly what we get – dried out air. Central heating or illness can cause the mucus lining that protects your child’s lungs to dry out and become thick. Unfortunately bacterial and viral infections thrive in this type of environment and so respiratory conditions are aggravated when this happens.
When your child has a cold their nasal passageways become inflamed which means the airways are narrowed. Add thicker nasal secretions and your child can suddenly become quite stuffed up and uncomfortable and also be at greater risk of infection. Increasing humidity with the Medisana Air Humidifier will alleviate symptoms and will help to reduce the potential survival of the virus on surfaces and in the air. It will also help to relieve dry irritated eyes and skin. It will provide relief to a dry and tickly throat and will improve breathing and aid a restful nights sleep… which let’s be honest is high on the priority list for most parents….for the good of our children of course!! Never mind our sanity…..!
Finally, this is also a great product for soothing coughs as it helps to break down the mucus guilty in chesty coughs, and moistens the airways in the case of dry, irritating coughs. It’s a natural option which is fantastic for troublesome night time coughs as it stays on for 15 hours and then shuts off automatically once all of the water you placed in the drum has been released as mist. During the night post nasal drips are at their worst which basically means that mucus from the nasal passageways is dripping down the back of the throat and into the chest – this can cause irritation at night and worsen a chesty cough. It can also be the cause of many seemingly ‘dry coughs’ and so this product is a great solution to these problems as it thins out that mucus which stops it from accumulating and becoming thick and irritating.
Humidifier or Salin Plus?
I get asked this question a lot by parents trying to figure out which product suits their family members most. This is probably because I spend a lot of time talking about the benefits of the Salin Plus Salt Therapy Device. However, these are two very different things. I use a humidifier for the times that they actually have a cough or cold. To prevent or reduce the number of coughs or colds they get and to improve respiratory health I use the Salin Salt Therapy device (FULL REVIEW HERE) every night. Don’t use the two machines at the same time. So basically Salin Plus is to prevent respiratory flare ups in those who suffer regularly or to improve chronic conditions such as asthma, and the Medisana Air Humidifier is to alleviate symptoms if they do come down with something!
The Medisana Air Humidifier – How it works!
Humidifiers work by dispersing water using a small rotating or oscillating disc to divide water droplets into such a tiny size that they can then be fanned into the air thus increasing humidity. Healthy air should have a relative atmospheric humidity of 40-55%. Very dry air increases susceptibility to infection and diseases and can lead to fatigue.
This device prevents mucous membranes from drying out and improves the air quality. You do have to ensure you don’t overuse it though, as with all humidifiers, as excess humidity can lead to moisture on your walls. For this reason I use this device only when my kids actually have a cough or a cold and the Salin Plus every other night.
How easy is it to use?
- My favourite thing of all is that it is SILENT!! Like properly silent! No buzzing or humming of any sort! I’m still surprised by how quiet it is! Every now again you hear a little bubble of water moving but that is it!
I have to say I love the lightweight design of this product. It is so simple to set up and easy to fill. You need to pay a bit of attention when you are removing the drum from the device as there will be a little pool of water in the base which is primed for oscillation so I wouldn’t do this part in the middle of the night or with the lights off!
- Use it on a flat surface where it will not tip over. If using it on a wooden floor I would put a protective later under it in case of any spills when moving it. To be honest I found it much easier to deal with than the Vicks humidifier and much less likely to drip or spill! I can’t lie – I was picking it up and moving it from room to room during my review period and never spilt a drop so I really don’t think this is a concern – but it is mentioned on the info sheet so have to say it!
- It contains a little aroma compartment where you can add essential oils such as olbas oil depending on age. It only needs a couple of drops so don’t add more than that – and add the oil to the compartment only – not the main water drum.
- Cleaning – this is simple but important! Any product which contains water needs to be washed between uses. Use fresh water each night and give it a thorough clean every three days when in use. It comes with full instructions but you basically just wash out the drum with hot water and a damp cloth. It comes with a special brush to clean the ultrasound generator – it’s very straight forward.
- It works in rooms up to 8 meters square. I left the kids door open a little and it was still really effective. It probably helps to ensure the humidity doesn’t get too high also.
So overall, this is a fantastic product to have ready to use when sickness strikes! Its really pretty (ok – not so important but still!). It has two little blue lights on it which means you can see where it is in the night which makes tripping over it very unlikely!! The absolute best feature, other than the mist itself, is that it is so quiet!